Sunday, June 2, 2013


DESIGNING CLASSROOM LANGUAGE TESTS
 




 When I first started reading Brown's chapter on designing language tests, I thought it would be a "boring" manual on how to fail and/or promote your students, after all, what is there to know about tests? how difficult can it be to throw some questions, accommodate some multiple choices items, create a word-puzzle? what could be so complicated or important on a quizz that needs a whole chapter?! well, to my surprise there is a whole world of information and right, meaningful ways to assess our students that I as a teacher had no knowledge about.

First of all, and specifically, we must design tests, quizzes, assessment tasks that provide our students with washback; this is the main reason for assessing, rather than assigning a grade and have them pass or fail a course. It is also necessary to analyze everything students should know or be able to do at a certain stage of the learning process and based on those objectives, we must start planning activities that provide learners with real life uses of the language, natural conversations that create a meaningful and interesting context for them. Moreover, we need to make sure we know what kind of skills we want our students to be able to display, do we want them to write perfect essays? do we want to be effective speakers? so we can create the right assessing tools that are consistent with the tasks and exercises used during the whole course.

Secondly, teachers should be aware that feedback is the real reason why we assessed students. It is not enough to provide a number or a letter grade if they are not told about their weaknesses and strengths, it would not represent any gain for them. The testing experience should allow learners to identify their areas of success and challenge, this should be, ultimately, a learning experience. 

7 comments:

  1. Yeah, feedback is a key step when grading. It is very important because it gives the students more information about their process than what a 4.2 would do.
    I agree with you when you said that there is a whole world of info about how to acurately assess students and those concept really make sence and somehow contradict thw way I was assessed when I was a high school student at a very traditional all-girls school.
    As a teacher it is my endeavor to update myself in these field of assessment with the aim of getting the best performances from my students and give them a hint of where they are in the English process, more than letting them know if they passed or failed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are right! I still cannot understand how I went through school successfully, how did I learn something!? Most of the teachers I had never gave me feedback on any field nor they took the time to have any kind of formative or meaningful feedback.... Tests and quizzes was all I ever knew

      Delete
  2. Well,in my opinion I would say that many students are certainly used to thinking that the better grade one gets, the more intelligent one is. I strongly agree with the fact of designing tests that are basically focused on proving students’ competences about aspects learned previously. Additionally, I also consider that English language teachers should generate real life environments where students put into practice what they learn.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, we as teachers have full responsibility to change the way we assess as well as help our students change the way they think they should be assessed, and display their knowledge...

      Delete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree with you both, I think that as teachers we can change everything in ours and students' favor; we can come up with innovative strategies to assess, new and better ones that facilitate our job and studentn's learning process too, but that's not an easy task. What if in the classroom there is a case we can not deal with? what if I have done EVERYTHING to make him/her work and NOTHING ACTUALLY WORKS! what if we have to face children that are special cases, Do we have enough capacitation or trainning to face those problems? I think the answer is NOT and I would like to find it out some day... I wish everybody really knew the importance our labor has, we might want change, but first we must be ready to do so.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are completely right! I think our program really really needs to have a curriculum where special needs are concerned; we definitely need to training in this aspect.

      Delete